Friday, January 30, 2009

Jan 30 food

Brekky:  small morning smoothie.  This time I was hungry at 6:15 am.  So salad for dinner before 6 pm worked.

Snack after workout:  3 date nut pop'ems.  celery with raw almond butter.  I got an order from Dr. Fuhrman's website yesterday.  I decided to try out his date nut pop'ems and almond butter along with replenishing my vinegar and vitamins.  The date nut pop'ems are a bit too rich for my tastes I think.  They are packed with calories and sugar, so if I eat a little, I feel okay but it doesn't seem very satisfying to me; and if I eat a lot, I get a sick feeling from the richness and sugar high.   The chocolate ones are really good but I don't like the caffeine.  However I really like the raw almond butter.  That was great with celery.  So I think that will be a good morning snack.  

Lunch:  baked sweet potato (mashed with a fork), leftover pureed rutabaga and turnip and parsnips, steamed cauliflower, edamame.   How's that for a colorful dish?  As I said yesterday, the only reason the pureed rutabaga is pink is that I didn't clean out the blender after making a beet dressing.  But it's pretty!  For dessert I made baked apples stuff with date nut pop'ems (a Fuhrman recipe--core the apple, stuff 'em, bake 'em).  They were good, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort.  I think I don't like sweets as much as I used to.


Dinner:  chopped arugula and spinach topped with cashew-orange dressing and orange slices.  Wow, this was really good!   For dessert I had two date nut pop'ems.  For someone who says she doesn't like sweets and desserts, I ate a lot of date nut pop'ems today.  Well, I wanted to try them out.

3 comments:

Howard Veit said...

Barb,

I like cashew butter too. My Vitamix cookbook shows how to make it from raw cashews. Just put in Vitamix and blend the nuts. I am going to try when I run out of my jarred cashew butter.

When I put my raw trail mix (sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, dates) in the Vitamix (the jar that grinds grains) I get a very fine mixture that tastes very good. I'll bet it tastes similar to the date/nut popems. You can vary the sweetness by how many dates you put in.

Anonymous said...

I make my own pop 'ems using cocoa powder and 1 cup of mixed raw nuts. Sometimes I add coconut, and some day I'd like to add cinnamon. I found them sweet when I accidentally used cocoa powder sweetened with cane sugar. Since I've gotten rid of that they're much better. I make them with the Vitamix.

kneecap said...

Howard,

your trail mix recipe sounds just like date nut pop'ems.

crunchy

do you add dates to your pop'ems?

I think I just prefer desserts with higher volume. I really like fruit, for example. I just like to eat more I guess. With date nut pop'ems you have to have discipline. :)