Saturday, January 17, 2009

Jan 17 food

Brekky (Breakfast):  small morning smoothie, banana with 1 oz walnuts.  I love bananas and walnuts.  and my bananas as just getting ripe.  

Late lunch:  salad with baked beet dressing (yum)  followed by fruit salad.  Even though that was plenty I seem to be in the habit of finishing off with an orange.   I think I had a tangelo.  Nothing seems as good as the small valencia oranges though.  I was grocery shopping and the berries looked good even though they are from far away (Mexico, Chile) so that's where I got the idea to make a fruit salad.  This had strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and a sliced banana.  The strawberries were fantastic, and the blueberries were quite good too.  Raspberries were good too.  As were the bananas.  So it was a good fruit salad.   

Snack:  I was experimenting with nut milks so I had a warm mug of nut milk with 2 tsp of date sugar and 2 tsp raw carob powder.  It was yummy.   Of course, I shouldn't be snacking on a regular basis and I usually don't so I think it's okay.   Fuhrman recommends at least 90% compliance to his program and I think I achieved that this week.

Dinner:   Gorgeous garlic greens soup.   You have to pay $5 to get this recipe (along with 4 others) from Compassionate Cooks, and I recommend it because they are good.   This is a good soup when you are sick (or anytime), and housemate has come down with a cold.   I modified it a bit to Fuhrmanize it some more.  It includes lots of greens, potatoes, onion, a head of garlic and a carrot.  I put in even more greens, used part white and part sweet potatoes (housemate likes white potatoes so I didn't go all sweet potato), and in another pot I cooked up some zucchini and leek and then blended that up and added it (just because it was there, in the fridge).  And I cooked up a cup of lima beans (1/2 cup dried) and added that.  And I used Dr. Fuhrman's pomagranate balsamic vinegar instead of seasoned rice vinegar (which has salt).  That was good.  And I added some dulse and some celery, so that has some sodium in it but not too much.  It turned out quite good.  I ate two large bowls and followed this with two (smallish) valencia oranges.  These valencia oranges we're getting are soooo goood.  Anyway, I did overeat.  I notice if I snack, it leads to overeating.  I basically just don't stop eating.  But it was a lot of liquid so hopefully will pass through quickly.  Uh-oh, I'll probably wake up a lot to pee tonight.   

No comments: