Saturday, January 3, 2009

Jan. 3 food

First day of my business trip.  

Breakfast:  arugula-apple-orange salad.  Ate this in Milwaukee airport in a slight rush before boarding a plane.  So I probably didn't chew enough. 

Lunch:  lots of fruit as I was not able to fix a salad yet but managed to stop at the farmer's market:  2 bananas and my daily portion of nuts (0.75 oz walnuts, 0.75 oz brazil nuts).  then a little later, 2 small apples, 2 small oranges, a carrot, some grapes.  Probably overate a bit

Dinner: lettuce topped with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.  Probably pretty low calorie but with all the fruit I ate earlier I wasn't that hungry, so it was just right.  I got some beans at the store so I'm all set for tomorrow but didn't feel hungry enough to have them at dinner.

I don't think I'll be posting my meals for the next few days as they should be what I posted here.  Plus I will be busy.  Oh, one thing that surprised me:  I'm in California.  I thought the produce I bought at the farmer's market was going to be great, since it's local.  It's not great, and my roommate informed me that's probably because a lot of it isn't local either this time of year, e.g., the strawberries, oranges and apples.  All were mediocre, even the carrots which I would have thought could be local.   It makes me really appreciate my co-op.  Their produce is expensive but it is really really good even when not local. It's totally worth it!  And carrots from Wisconsin are way better than the ones from California.  Who knew?   And to think I have a 5 lb bag at home in my fridge.  I meant to bring some but forgot.  

6 comments:

Howard Veit said...

Hi Barb,

I have a business trip coming up next week. You have given me some good tips on what to bring. I hadn't thought about a can opener and silver ware. Great idea. Thanks

I have two meals at my clients home. That will be a challenge. He knows how I eat, but never seems to get it right.

Have a great time in California.

kneecap said...

Can you offer to help shop and prepare the meal?

Howard Veit said...

Unfortunately, my client is a gourmet cook and is very proud of his creations.

Here is the AlooTikki recipe:

1 russet potato, baked
1 15 ounce can chickpeas (no salt) drained and rinsed
1 green chili
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp ginger, grated
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp freshly gound black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup ww flour

In a large bowl, mash potato and chickpeas. Add spices, juice, flour and shape into patties. Back dry in the oven.

Good served with chutney. I guess the flour and potato are off program. But this is an only occasional dish.

Serve it over bed of baby spinach and with some steamed brussel sprouts.

kneecap said...

wonderful, thanks for the recipe! I understand your problem now (with the gourment cook. :)

-barb

Howard Veit said...

Barb,

I'll bet you can do the AlooTikki with sweet potatoes and maybe without the flour, or something to sub for the flour.

Howard

kneecap said...

interesting! well, I could do the whole wheat flour. though I might wait until feb. 15. I want to do a clean 6 week ETL to see if I can do it. then I can make this and see if I notice any ill effects from the ww flour. And maybe a mixture of potatoes and sweet potatoes would work.