Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jan 22 food

Breakfast:  morning smoothie  + 1 cup warm soymilk.  I decided I've been dissing the soymilk too much lately.  Soymilk is cheap and easy to make in my SoyQuick maker and it's healthy and good.  I had a cup of warm soymilk after making it.   I didn't add anything to it because I'm out of dates.  It was good as is, just soybeans and water.  When you drink it, it's good to think of it more as a broth than a milk; i.e., it is beans so if you are expecting it to taste like beans and not cow's milk, it's good.

Lunch:  Lightly steamed dipping veggies and black bean hummus.  This was soooooooo goooooood.  The dipping veggies were carrots, beets, broccoli and cauliflower.  Also celery but I didn't steam that.  This picture is a bit washed out because there was steam rising from the veggies.  I should have put a fork in for scale.  That was a big bowl of vegetables!
The black bean hummus was from the Fuhrman forum website.  That has cooked black beans (I soaked 1 cup dry beans over night, and cooked it this morning--or you can buy a can), fresh lemon juice, vegizest or other no salt seasoning, raw tahini (I ground up raw sesame seeds in the coffee grinder), small amount of low sodium soy sauce, cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper, and I forgot the paprika for garnish.  To make the garlic less potent, I put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 F in a metal measuring cup.  That cooked it just enough.  It was soooo yummmy.   We ate the whole thing.  I think I ate quite a bit more than housemate because she is tentative with the dipping and doesn't want to get her hands dirty.  I had a tiny little apple for dessert.  The local apples are starting to get more bad spots on them, but the good spots are still crispy and fresh tasting.  But it's clear the end of local apple season is approaching.  

Dinner:  pureed turnip.  This was soooooo goooood.  yes, I say that a lot.  I made the soy milk for this purpose.  I soaked a few dried apricots in soymilk during the day, steamed a large cut-up turnip and a very small local onion.  Then blended the turnip, onion, apricots and soymilk in the vita-mix.  It was yummy yummy.  Also had cabbage salad, and 2 oranges.  I was very full.  The lunch was still with me so I did eat too much at lunch. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Barb:

Where do you get your DHA/EPA supplements? I tried calling Metagenics and all they could do was to refer me to some local M.D.'s and other medical professionals who have an "account" with them! I certainly am not up to calling some random medical professional, making an appointment, wasting time & money in the process. Any suggestions? Your lunch today looked really appetizing. I'll try the hummus dip tomorrow, but with garbanzos. BTW, do I have to re-start my 2 weeks w/o dairy each time I falter a little bit? I bought some rice milk today, as you suggested. I'll try that instead with the corn flakes.

kneecap said...

HI Mary,

I get my DHA from Dr. Fuhrman's website:
https://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/supplements.aspx
I recommend his gentle care vitamins and osteo-sun (vitamin D) too. If you click on "details" you get more information about them.

Re: dairy. how about restarting but just trying it for a week? maybe that would be long enough to see if you notice a difference.