Friday, January 16, 2009

jan 16 food

Breakfast:  small smoothie.  This eating the smoothie at 6:30 am (so early!)  is working out really well.  I think I have more energy during my workout and bike ride home.  And then I am nice and hungry at lunch.  I just have to make sure to not eat dinner too late, but that is a good thing to do anyway.

Lunch: red beans and rice.  I decided that rice mixture I made yesterday was good for this--gave us some healthy kale and the apricot adds flavor to the red beans, as I was discussing yesterday.  Also had my favorite apple-lettuce salad.  I decided the orange is better left out for dessert.  And the D'Angou pear vinegar is still the best by far compared to others I've tried.  yummy.

Dinner:  baked sweet potato (then mashed) and beet with steamed cauliflower and zucchini.   I never baked a beet before.  it probably needed more time or to be cut in half.  But it was still good.   no seasonings.  everything was good as is.
Dessert:  orange, which was ao good, I had another.  Our co-op gets these great organic valencia oranges.  they are fairly small almost always good and juicy, unlike those dry navel oranges from California.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb: You should bake beets at 350F for 1-1.5 hrs., at least! BTW, check out my blog at: resolution1.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Hey, no dissin' the Cali oranges! :P

Is the pear vinegar mild or vinegary? I've never tried Dr. F.'s vinegars. I actually only started using them for the kale chips! And I don't eat those all the time. I hadn't had vinegar in almost 5 years. If his vinegars are mild, I might try one or two with my next order of DHA...which would you suggest are the best I should try?

kneecap said...

oh my God, Mary, you started a blog! that is too fun! I went to your blog and saw the word Brekky and thought, that sounds like Mary! Are you having fun? I baked the beet at 400F for about an hour. what do you think about cutting it in half? I got the idea of baking it from you. I'll go comment on your blog!

Strix--sorry about dissing Cali oranges. I think i'm really dissing those sunkist ones we get in the chain grocery stores. sorry but they are pretty bad. however, we do get good Cali oranges at our co-op, especially the valencia ones.

All the Fuhrman vinegars are very mild. I ordered all of them to try them out. I never liked vinegar before either, but I like these. My favorite is definitely the D'Angou Pear. I also like the orange one. I am still experimenting with the rest to see what tastes good on what.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, kneecap :^). I see Dr. F. is now offering a little sampler package. I may just try them...