Sunday, January 4, 2009

Jan 4 trip log

Day 2 of my business trip.  (edited over the next few days)

Today's meals were as planned.   My roommate came up with a good idea for dinners and I came up with another good plan for lunch.  We're near a beach and I'm going to suggest to whomever I eat lunch with that we get take out and go to the beach, where there are a lot of benches and casual restaurants.  [edited:  we did this every day.  one day we went to a restaurant at the beach but they were totally okay with my bringing my lunch.]   For dinners, if I go to a nice restaurant, I'll order a salad with nothing on it and then I'll pour my salad with apples and oranges and vinegar & ground sunflower on top.  I'll pay the $15+tax+tip to keep the server from telling me I can't bring my food in.  Tonight we went to a very casual restaurant and I ordered one of my companion's side dishes which she ate.  I ate my salad.   No one said anything.  Interestingly it was a restaurant that made my favorite southern foods.  My companion had red beans & rice, collard greens, and candy yams.  Full of salt.  I have to admit I have good memories of all this good food, especially southern fried chicken.  But I don't really desire it anymore when I think about it, and I make great red beans & rice, collard greens, and sweet potatoes so I was not missing anything.  And my salad was great!   I feel very energetic eating all these salads.

I felt the salt from the can of beans I had on my lunch salad.  My fingers swelled up.  I got organic because they had less sodium than even the "low-sodium" brand.  Obviously there were no no-salt cans.   I didn't rinse them.  The can says there's about 450 mg of sodium in a whole can (I ate a whole can every day).  Fuhrman says we should consume less than 1000 mg of sodium per day, and this is well under.  But I had it all in one sitting, and I must usually consume much less (natural foods have some sodium).  Several hours later, I feel fine.  [edited:  the rest of the days I rinsed the beans and had no problems, I probably also got use to the little extra salt, but it's not much].

We went grocery shopping again and I got some curry powder and cinnamon and a peeler for my apples.  And, my roommate has DHA supplements so she gave me some.  Now what are the chances of that happening?  

No comments: