Tuesday, January 6, 2009

jan. 6 trip update

My business trip food experiment is going great.   So far I've only gone to a few casual restaurants and they haven't complained about me bringing my own food in.  I've been meeting students for lunch and telling them to get something take-out and we'll eat at the beach.   I'm probably going to a nice restaurant for dinner tonight and I will bring my food, but will order a plain salad so the server doesn't complain.  Then I'll just dump my food on it.  The meal plans are pretty much how I posted here.  I edited that post as I tweaked them.  

At first my roommate kept saying, "wow, this must take so much discipline and planning on your part," after she saw my utensils and groceries in the room.  I said, yeah, but now I can relax at the meeting and not worry about what restaurant we're going to and if I'm going to get anything to eat.  Plus, I pointed out that she did a lot of planning beforehand to make sure she could go to her Bikram yoga class.  She found a studio ahead of time, mapped it out, and rented a car in part because it was too far to walk.  So I was joking that it must take a lot of discipline to do that.  I was trying to argue that it's not really discipline if that's what you want to do.  

Yesterday, we got up at 5:15 to go to yoga and then were at the meeting all day talking to people and going to talks, and the last thing we wanted to do last night was go out to dinner.  And then we realized---oh my gosh, we don't have to go out to dinner, we can eat in the hotel room!  So I fixed us my dinner salad (greens, apple, orange slices, ground sunflower seeds & d'angou pear vinegar) and roommate liked it.  So the funny thing is, she's planning to have it again tonight.  And tomorrow she's planning to have the lunch in [edited later:  the next day she and her student ate in the hotel room and so did me and my student--too funny!].   We went grocery shopping this morning and loaded up on supplies.  So it's been great.  I've benefited from her yoga obsession and she's benefited from my food obsession.  

Today I ran into a friend who said he can't find any good food around here (in the restaurants).  I recall that from my days even before I became vegan.  These touristy spots tend to have expensive, mediocre, and very unhealthy food.

2 comments:

Picks Over Peas said...

I'm enjoying your posts about your trip. I don't travel often, but when I do I prepare my own food as you have done.
Your breakfast salad sounds easy and delicious. I'm going to try that combination!

kneecap said...

Hi Picks,

thanks for reading. I'm learning as I go. oh to be perfect and have it all figured out. wouldn't that be something.

-barb