Sunday, January 25, 2009

Jan 25 food

Brekky:   morning smoothie

Lunch:  baked sweet potato, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, 1 raw carrot, 2 clementines.  Housemate cooked this for me while I was out and about (after prep from me).

Dinner:  LiLo's spicy red lentil soup with Indian spices from the Fuhrman forums.  This was good but I think I undercooked the spices.  You are supposed to toast them and I burned the first batch and then only had enough for one more batch and I probably undercooked them.  I think the fennel seeds left an after taste.  I snacked on 2-3 raw carrots while cooking.  Oh, and a nice bowl of fruit salad with strawberries, blueberries and banana---the blueberries were particularly good, as was the banana, strawberries not quite ripe but not bad.  I drank some warm cashew milk that I made for the soup (1 cup cashews, 4 dates, 4 cups of water blended until smooth--super easy to make in a vita-mix).  I ate two bowls of soup.  Orange for dessert.   So I was plenty full after all that.  I probably won't be hungry for a smoothie at 6:30 am tomorrow.  That's okay, I can have it after exercise.  

2 comments:

Howard Veit said...

Barb,

Oh, I see. You make a large smoothie and then divide it into smaller portions. Does the flavor hold after you freeze it? I was thinking about making my smoothies the night before and keeping it in the refrigerator overnight. But, I thought it would change flavor sitting around.

kneecap said...

I think freezing is better than leaving in the fridge overnight. When you freeze it and then let it thaw overnight, it is pretty much like you just made it. If you use ground flaxseed it can get a little gooey. But otherwise, it's the same consistency and flavor as when you made it.