Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jan. 15 food

Breakfast:  small breakfast smoothie

snack:  banana with 1/2 oz walnuts.  absolutely needed this after my long cold bike rides and gym workout and it was delicious.  My bananas are just starting to ripen.  

Lunch:  Red beans and rice.  I used leftover red beans from the freezer made using the recipe from fatfreevegan.com.  I cooked the brown rice and halfway through added finely chopped kale, an onion, some veggiezest, and some chopped dried apricots.  The rice tasted kind of funny on its own (probably from the kale), but when mixed in with the red beans, I thought it was pretty good.  Maybe it would have been better to have the kale as a side dish but this was less work.  The apricots add a little zing to the red beans.  As I stated yesterday, when you take regular recipes and subtract things (oil, salt), they become a little bland so you need to be creative about adding things to them.   Dessert:  orange and some apple slices while making applesauce.

snack:  I taste-tested some applesauce that I made for housemate while doling it out into bowls for freezing.  I probably ate a small bowl's worth.  It has refined sugar in it so counts as junk food in Fuhrman's view.  But it was fun to try a little bit.  I only try it when it's freshly made.  Otherwise, I can resist it.  

Dinner:  apple-orange-arugula lettuce salad.  This is just so easy and we still have local crisp and delicious apples, so you might have noticed eat it a lot.   Today I tried the Riesling Raisin vinegar.  My favorite is still D'angou Pear but I'm going to try all of them.

No comments: