Wednesday, January 14, 2009

housemate's smoothie

Edited Aug. 29, 2009, still tweaking.

Since housemate was told she has a little bit of macular degeneration in her eyes, she is willing to let me put spinach in her smoothie as long as she doesn't taste it and it doesn't have a green color--the solution to the latter is that I put foil over the top so she doesn't see it (see picture below). I also want it to be sweet and appetizing.

Ingredients for 4 18 oz (I think--large glass) servings:
2 Tbsp hemp seeds
2 Tbsp sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup raw walnuts or cashews
2 Tbsp date sugar (optional)
16 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
1-2 bananas, fresh or frozen (peel before freezing, break up and put into individual bags)
2-3 bags frozen berries (blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, or mixed berries)
4-8 oz fresh spinach
water as needed

Put the nuts, seeds, date sugar, vitamins, DHA, and some of the orange juice (8 oz to start) in the blender. Add the spinach on top. Start blending, letting the bottom stuff blend first. Then smash down the spinach with the plunger and let it all blend together. Then add the berries and bananas and rest of liquid and blend until smooth. This 4 ~16-oz servings. Freeze the ones you don't drink. Take out one each night and put in fridge. It thaws overnight. Here they are ready to put in the freezer:









5 comments:

Howard Veit said...

Barb,

I bought a Vitamix. Preparing the smoothies is a little easier. I had dinner at my client's home tonight and couldn't stay on program, but did the best I could. Restaurants, for all there hassle, are easier than eating at someone else's home. Nobody else even comes close to the Fuhrman program.

kneecap said...

ooh, I can see that. Well, I hope it was good! That would be an interesting situation to post about on the Fuhrman forums.

Howard Veit said...

My client (and old friend) is a proud Italian and is a very good cook. He takes great pride in his pizza. So, I didn't think I could refuse. I asked him to do it without the cheese. He did and it was quite good, except the salt in the sauce hit my taste buds pretty hard. One of the other guests tried the cheeseless pizza and liked it that way. Lead by example.

I had his linguini (not ww) and marinara sauce also. It was very good, but the sauce had salt and olive oil. Why does salt have to end up everywhere. No escaping it out of my own kitchen. One of the guests brought a nice salad with too much (no no) dressing on it. I had a little.

In a crowd when I am identified as a vegan someone always refers to some crazy, shiftless relative who is also a vegan. Hardly anyone knows a male vegan. So, I usually end up slipping my high school football career and my marathon cycling into the conversation just to reestablish my macho credentials.

kneecap said...

haha. Oddly enough, the owner of my gym is a vegan and he is very muscular. Plus I know plenty of wimpy meat eaters. :)

well, that meal splurge sounds worth it. but I know what you mean about the salt. it actually makes things taste worse.

Howard Veit said...

I guess it is not all that macho to be lying on an operating table hooked up to a bypass machine.