Saturday, January 24, 2009

tahini sauce

This is similar to my tahini-cashew sauce but I didn't have any cashews.  I am getting to like plain tahini more and more.  It's an acquired taste I guess, like many things.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup raw unhulled sesame seeds.
juice of 1 lemon.  It was a juicy lemon so at least 3 Tbsp, which I believe is 1/4 cup.
1 clove garlic
2-4 dried apricots or 1-2 dates (optional)
small zucchini (optional)
or banana instead of zucchini and apricots/dates (optional)
1/2-1 cup soy milk or water
1 Tbsp veggiezest (optional--I didn't add it)

Rinse the sesame seeds and add them and soy milk and garlic and lemon juice to the vita-mix and let it blend up and get warm and cook the garlic a bit.  That takes maybe 5 minutes?  Add liquid as needed for desired consistency--today I'm using it as a sauce for a bunch of kale so think I used 1 cup of liquid.  Then kind of experiment.  see if 1 apricot added tastes better or worse.  if better, maybe add another.  I added 4 but actually thought it tasted fine without any.   I added a small zucchini (peeled) to make the sauce go a little farther (and because I had one left in my almost empty refrigerator)--I thought this worked well.  I considered adding a banana instead of the zucchini and apricot.   I don't know if it'd be good or not but it would dull the strong taste of the sesame seeds, extend the sauce and add some sweetener.

No comments: