Monday, January 12, 2009

Jan. 12 food

Breakfast:  apple and carrot.  wasn't hungry after the weekend nut over-consumption

Lunch:  1/2 bunch steamed kale with Russian fig dressing.  I didn't follow closely Fuhrman's recipe so I can say what I did:   blended a small garlic clove, small part of an onion, canned tomato (from the garden, drained), and I think it was about 1/4-1/3 cup pecans (would have used almonds but didn't have any), and Dr. Fuhrman's black fig vinegar.  This is really good and tastes kind of hot from the garlic.  dessert:  orange

Dinner:  thawed some soup from the freezer: black forest cream of mushroom (sorry, another fuhrman recipe).   ate this over steamed broccoli and cauliflower.  also had a carrot, celery stalk, a bowl of arugula and some red bell pepper.  and an orange for dessert.  I didn't even think to add the last of the russian fig dressing over the arugula.  darn, this would have been a good idea.  

I finally got hungry today before dinner and before bed.  That's good.  It's good to get hungry before you eat.  I'm going to eat a small smoothie tomorrow morning before going to my exercise class so it's okay to go to bed a bit hungry.  I sleep better when my stomach isn't too full.   I decided the solution to my breakfast being so close to lunch is to eat a small breakfast right when I get up, at 6:15 am!   So I definitely don't want to eat a late dinner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Barbie :)
Do you can your own tomatoes?! Very cool.I've done some canning, but when I grew tomatoes I ate them all they were too good! I did dry some excess cherry/plum tomatoes, though. Those things grow crazy!
Do you have a garden? I just did pot growing :)

kneecap said...

Hey, is this LiLo? Yes, my housemate cans tomatoes and we have a garden which she plants and grows and I harvest. It is wonderful. We're going to try to expand it every year. I use canned garden tomatoes in place of most everything that has the word tomato in it, such as tomato juice, tomato sauce, tomato paste, whatever.
-barbie :)

Anonymous said...

I can sign in as Poxacuatl or BeStrixed, I guess, haha.

That is so smart of you to have a garden. It's sooo satisfying to eat your own food! Best tasting produce I've ever had has been my own. I guess because it's right off the vine. I'm hoping to get a Meyer lemon tree this year, but I won't be able to expand as much as I would like. Probably lots of tomatoes because organic are ridiculously expensive come summer when at their peak!

kneecap said...

Do you live in California? We can't grow citrus in Wisconsin, but the apples are good. I don't grow them, but I'm still getting local ones which are really good.