Friday, January 2, 2009

Jan. 2 food

Breakfast:  cabbage salad

Lunch:  Leftover black-eyed pea stew, zucchini & peas & corn (had a zucchini in the fridge, trying to get rid of produce before my trip tomorrow).  Dessert:  easy arugula apple salad, which I added orange slides to.  I love this salad and it is sooo easy!  The combination of  the bitter greens, tart and sweet apple and orange, and acidic vinegar--it's just an excellent explosion of taste.   I'm going to make this a lot on my trip next week because it should be easy to make in a hotel room.  I'll talk about my plans in another post if I can get packed in time.   Here's my dessert:   

We had housemate's family over for lunch and she fixed them their traditional meatloaf dinner.  They had ice cream and cake for dessert.  This is an example of how weird I am:  I totally loved my salad way more than I would have liked even vegan cake and ice cream.  Well, okay, I would have been tempted by vegan cake and ice cream, but it wasn't vegan, it was cake from a box and frosting from a can and ice cream from a factory, so it was not tempting at all.  And the salad was really good.   Oh, I probably did eat a bit too much for lunch.  The reason is that I was thinking I have to eat a bunch of salad before leaving town so will need a salad tonight for dinner.  But I guess I shouldn't think that way.  I should let food go to waste?  hmmm, maybe I could make a smoothie--yeah, I can make some green smoothies and put them in the freezer.  So then I don't have to feel I need to eat so much today.

Dinner:  well, I'm trying to get rid of food from the fridge before my trip.  and I wanted some blueberries and know I'll be eating a lot of salads on the trip.  But I have lots of salad at home to eat up.  So I made a green smoothie consisting of a bag of baby greens (5 oz), a frozen bag of blueberries, an apple, an orange, a little bit of pomegranate juice, and, this is where I think I made a mistake, half of a sweet potato.  It was okay, but I think replacing the sweet potato with another orange (both are small) would have been better.  oh well, it was pretty satisfying, in fact I overate--normally I'd only eat half the smoothie at a time but I didn't think it was good enough to freeze the rest so I just ate about 2/3 of it and...poured the rest down the sink.  I then proceeded to make 9 smoothies for housemate, in 3 batches.  Now, to get her to eat spinach, I make hers much sweeter than mine.  I use a sweet berry juice, and I got rid of the last of my dates and maple syrup in her smoothies.  So I did taste-test them and boy were they good.  Perhaps I taste-tested them a bit too much.  So I'd say I overate tonight.  Darn!  okay, I'll get better.

4 comments:

Howard Veit said...

I think that I overeat a lot too, but my weight stays within a pound or so. That salad looks great. I like salads with fresh and dried fruit. I order it that way in restaurants and sometimes they can do it.

Howard

kneecap said...

yeah, my weight stays remarkably stable for all the overeating I do. but I feel better when I don't overeat.

Howard Veit said...

That's a good point. I have been gravitating to more whole wheat pasta and ww bread, which probably isn't good, but I like it. A few meals a week with pasta and/or bread doesn't seem to hurt either. Maybe all the exercise is the saving grace.

Have a great time on your trip.

kneecap said...

I'm avoiding wheat. I'm not sure why. I guess with the New Year, I'm trying to do 100% ETL for 6 weeks and see if I notice a difference. And I seem to have lost my cravings for grains. I like sweet potatoes and vegetables and soups more.