Tuesday, January 13, 2009

other morning smoothie

Used to be called my small morning smoothie but it's grown a bit, so I renamed it.   This is what I have most days.

Ingredients:
1 large banana
2 10 oz packages frozen berries (going for mixed right now)
16 oz pomegranate juice and/or water mixture
2 Tbsp flaxseeds
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
1 5-oz bag of spinach

Blend the juice, seeds, and spinach.  Add the fruit and blend some more.  Divide into 3 servings (it's about 16 oz each).  Freeze.  Take one out the night before and refrigerate.  may need to microwave for 15-30 seconds in the morning to help it thaw.  

Total calories per serving:  300.   Protein:  6 g (6%).   Carbs:  61 g (72%).   fat:  7 g (21%)

4 comments:

Picks Over Peas said...

I like the fact that this is something that you can make ahead. I never thought of doing that with a smoothie!

kneecap said...

yeah, it's a real time saver!

sgltrxfem said...

Say, where can you get one of those vitamix that everyone is raving about?? I've checked all the usual places that sell kitchen appliances and no one carries it.

kneecap said...

Hi sgltrxfem, you can try http://www.vitamix.com/. Dr. Fuhrman sells it on his site too:
https://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/foodkitchen.aspx
I bought the 4500 and it's fine with me. They are great!

-barb