Saturday, January 17, 2009

baked beets

Mary over at resolution1.wordpress.com told me that baked beets are way better than steamed and boy was she right. She also said they are good on salads. That will be my next post.

To bake the beets, put them in the oven at 350 F for 1.5 hours. If they are big, leave them in longer. Then let them cool. They look ugly and shrunken after they cool. Don't panic (as I did), just slice off the ends, and the peel will come off easily. The peel tastes good and has lots of nutrients so feel free to eat them, if organic. The baked beets are sooooo gooood. I made 4 and I just had to eat 2 of them as is. The other two I made into a salad dressing. We still get local beets here and they are really good, better than the ones shipped from 2000 miles away (I won't say where from so as not to offend). I will be baking a lot of beets now.

Edited later: Mary suggested using foil when baking beets so I'll try that next time.

No comments: