Monday, January 19, 2009

russian fig dressing

I got the idea for this dressing from Dr. Fuhrman's recipe site but my version is pretty different and I want to remember it so I'm writing it down here.  The reason I changed it is that I use canned tomatoes from our garden in place of all other tomato concoctions (e.g., tomato paste, tomato sauce, tomato juice); and I use nuts instead of nut butter.  The original recipe is here if you prefer that.  And there's a similar one here.  Oh, I didn't think to use veggiezest.  I'll try that next time.

Ingredients:
1 16 oz can tomatoes (mine are from the garden--if you don't have canned tomatoes you can use tomato sauce if you want).
1 garlic clove
a little bit of onion (1/8 cup?)
1/3 cup raw almonds
1-2 Tbsp Dr. Fuhrman's black fig vinegar (or other mild flavored vinegar)
1 Tbsp Dr. Fuhrman's veggiezest or other powdered veggie broth (optional)

Optional:  Pour the canned tomatoes and almonds in a bowl and let the almonds soak up the juice for several hours.  Throw everything in a blender and blend until nice and smooth.  This has a peppery taste from the raw garlic and onion.  If it's a little strong, just microwave it for a few minutes to cook the onion and garlic a bit.  Then refrigerate if you are going to have it over salad.   

No comments: