Monday, April 20, 2009

apr 20

I was out for both breakfast and lunch.  I brought a smoothie for breakfast.  For lunch I had leftover beans and rice, and apple/cabbage dish.  I had that in a restaurant.  You don't have to be as extreme as me.  I just don't want to eat their food anymore.  Lunch-mate had a beef enchilada smothered in a sour cream sauce and a beef taco and rice and beans, all with cheese.   It doesn't appeal to me--so it's not that I'm disciplined or have strong willpower.  Over time, I've just changed my desires and habits.   I told the waitress I have food allergies and I'll leave a tip.  I know it's a copout but it's a quick way to convey the message to a busy person.  Maybe instead I should say,  "I can't eat restaurant food but I'll leave a tip."  

Dinner was a salad with beet dressing.  I'm finally tiring of the big easy salad with olives and ready to play with dressings again.  This salad had lettuce, arugula, half a red bell pepper, 1/3 cup peas and 1/3 cup corn.  I'm not sure it needed the corn and peas.  I tend to pick a favorite salad and stick with it for a while so I may go on a beet dressing rampage for a while.  It is really really good.  I wasn't hungry for dessert but was making smoothies for the next few days (freeze for later), so ate 1/2 banana, and a ripe pear that was calling to me.  It was good.  Oh, I snacked on a kiwi and a carrot and celery stalk while preparing.

Total calories:  1515.  Protein 40 g (9%), carbs 306 g (74%), fat 29 g (17%).

6 comments:

Howard Veit said...

I wish I could get away with that. I would be in DEEP trouble (with my wife) if I didn't eat restaurant food. Also, we are getting invited to others' homes for dinner more. That is even more of a problem. I can be picky in a restaurant, but when someone cooks a special meal for me that really isn't right, I have to grin and bare it. Maybe, eat as little as possible.

kneecap said...

yeah, it's harder when someone cooks for you. But even there I sometimes use the salt excuse because salt really bothers me now. and I offer to bring something I can eat. I tend to hang out with more casual people who know I'm weird. My partner is weird too in her own way so she lets me be weird in my way. It actually helps to have a reputation of weirdness. :)

Patti said...

can you bake a beet in the microwave? I want to make the beet dressing, but want it fast tomorrow night?

Lately, all the restaurants I've been to have been hugely disappointing. Only Ruby Tuesdays salad bar made the cut for a place I could return to.

And kneecap, I'm glad you're still posting. I grew up near Madison, but now live in Charlottesville VA.

pcleve

kneecap said...

Hi Patti!

I've never made beets in the microwave but I don't see why not, since people cook potatoes in microwaves. Alternatively you can steam them. I meant to mention that. I will do that...

Charlottesville is very nice also. Yes, I find restaurants disappointing. Part of what I think about is that they are trying to make a profit, so do you think they are really going to make as high-quality food as you would at home?

thanks for your comments!

Howard Veit said...

Barb,

My problem is that I'm weird, but none of the people I hang with are weird, in fact, they are all way too straight, conformists might be a better term. Bringing my own food to a dinner party at someone else's home would be a stretch for me. When we have "pot luck" affairs my wife makes something I will eat. But, when our host(ess) is cooking, I am really out of luck.

Send some of your weird friends to Atlanta.

kneecap said...

Maybe over time your weirdness will rub off on your friends. But I understand what you are saying. The social situations are the hardest for me.