Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tomato vegetable soup

Another good camping or quick stove top meal.

Ingredients:
3 potatoes
1 onion
1 bunch of greens (I used kale)
1 can sweet peas
1 can sweet corn
1 16 oz cans tomatoes
Italian herbs (oregano, basil, fines herbes, stuff like that), 1-2 Tbsp total
Dried fruit (cherries, goji berries), about 3 Tbsp total
6 no-salt olives (optional)

Chop the onion and start cooking it in water.  Chop the potatoes (peel if desired first) and add.  Rip off the kale from the center stem in smallish pieces and add.  Then add everything else.  Add water to desired consistency.  

Now, this soup wasn't perfect.  I've been trying to figure out how to make my old tomato-based recipes taste good without salt and oil.  I added the olives to give it some oily taste and that was good.  But I find the tomato and Italian spices gives a metallic taste without salt.  I think I know the solution and will try it next time--peanut or almond butter.  Dr. Fuhrman's site has a bunch of tomato-based sauces that combine tomatoes and almond butter and they taste really good.  So I will try it next time. 

No comments: