Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hotpot bean soup

Here it is being cooked up in a hotel bathroom.  Of course, you can make this in a regular pan on a real stove too.  I used a $13 Rival 32 oz electric hotpot.  


Ingredients:
1 onion
1 medium potato
1 medium sweet potato
1 tsp chopped fresh ginger (peel the skin) or a little dried (1/4 tsp?)  (optional)
cinnamon (1/2 tsp?)
goji berries (2 Tbsp?)
dried cherries (2 Tbsp?)
1 bunch of greens.  a fast-cooking one is chard.  That's what I used.

Chop the onion and start cooking it in some water.  Peel the potato, chop in small pieces (to cook faster), add to the pot.  Add water as needed so things don't burn.  Peel sweet potato, add.  Add the ginger, cinnamon and dried fruit.  Rip off pieces of the greens (or chop) and add them.  Don't add the center veins unless you want to (I assume they are bitter but come to think of it, I don't really know).  Add some water if needed.  Cook until everything is tender and blended.  This only took 20 minutes in my hotpot!   I made it thick since there wasn't much room for extra water.  I thought it was a great couple of meals for 2 people.   Here's the end result:

No comments: