Wednesday, April 29, 2009

apr 29 food

Okay I'm back on the wagon.  whew.  It's always a relief for me to get back to normal.  So then I wonder why I go off in the first place.  I don't know!   Eating psychology is a mystery for me--I'll give another example of that in my next post.  So here's what I ate today.

I was out most of the morning and wasn't hungry before I left, so brekky just turned into lunch.  I had in mind a healthy treat:   peanut butter and banana.  I got a small amount of peanut butter (4 Tbsps, okay, not so small) at the co-op---freshly ground, yum!  and some ripe bananas and brought that home.  The peanut butter was still warm from the grinding.  I ate them together.  I really like this.  I decided next time I want a splurge I'm hoping this kind of treat can satisfy my urge.  I also had a smoothie and a pear.  














Dinner was a large salad:  lettuce, arugula, sorrel all chopped, 1/2 cup edamame, 1/2 orange bell pepper, a small ripe mango cut up, and some blueberry vinegar.  The mango was really good.    That only had about 300 calories so I was hungry later on and had an apple and half a small banana.

Total calories:  1548, protein 50 g (12%), carbs 246 g (59%), fat 51 g (29%).   

2 comments:

Strix said...

Ah, just reading about your recent dalliances, barb, yikes! Have you figured out what prompted it? I remember you were counting calories a while back -- do you think you were cutting too many?

Hope you feel better and get back on track soon. Getting hot flashes sounds awful.

Hugs & Greens :^)

kneecap said...

Hi Strix,

Thanks for your concern. It's embarrassing to blog about this stuff but I figure if I have to be honest about my failures as well as my successes. I think it is nostalgia that prompted me. The healthy food tastes better to me so it wasn't taste that prompted me. Last weekend I was at a banquet dinner where they served these giant pieces of chocolate pie. I think I got jealous. I don't even like those cookies I ate that much. But I wanted to splurge. I rationalized that it was okay to do that every once in a while, well not eating 10 cookies, but eating a few. At least they were fairly small cookies, ha.

Anyway, I'm back on track and very happy to be here. I feel normal when I eat healthy, and I feel crappy when I don't. I think that's another way we can go off track is that over time we forget how bad we felt when we ate the unhealthy stuff. It gives me a slight nausea that feels like anxiety. I wonder how much anxiety and depression is just poor digestion.

oh, and the hot flash is gone. It could be that I was just warm from eating more than usual?

Oh, and to answer your other question, yeah, I was wondering if I haven't been getting enough calories. So I'm going to eat more beans and other calorie dense foods. I'm going to have a bigger smoothie at breakfast.

thanks!
-barb