Tuesday, April 28, 2009

apr. 28

um, I continued my splurge today but I didn't overeat.  I just felt, since I jumped off the wagon, I may as well play in the dirt for another day.  

I wasn't hungry at brekky, so lunch was my usual smoothie.  I also had a few bites of lunch-mate's vegan burrito at Chipotle's.  Now I usually never do this as I am pretty extreme with my eating habits.  But I was curious.  It was salty and the tortilla tasted kind of like cardboard.  But the guacamole was good and I can see how quickly you can get addicted to this stuff with the salt.  Oh, I felt the effects of the processed flour in the tortilla immediately.  Dr. Fuhrman is right that white flour is just like sugar.  It goes into the blood stream quickly.  

Then I decided to have a "nothing muffin" at the co-op.  This is a relatively healthy muffin, with whole wheat and flaxseed but it's got canola oil and maple syrup so still qualifies as junk food in Fuhrman's book.  It tasted pretty good because of the maple syrup--and raisins.  

For dinner I had a few more treats, a small serving of some peanut-tofu dish from the deli at the co-op.  It was good because it had sweetener and salt and peanuts and some other good flavorings in it.  Oh and some broccoli to make it a little healthy.  And I also had some veggie sushi rolls.  These are just raw veggies and a little avocado rolled in that very thin rice paper.  I think these would qualify as healthy in Fuhrman's book.  They didn't taste salty.  Then I had some fruit--apple, orange, and a carrot and celery.  

Oh, tonight I felt like I had a little hot flash.  yikes, I'd better get back on that wagon.  I've had zero menopause symptoms the last several months even though I stopped having my period 4 months ago, and I like that just fine!    Oh, and last night I slept okay for about 6 hours, but it was somewhat unpleasant with a bad dream and racing heartbeat from the caffeine in the chocolate.  My fingers are swollen from the salt, and I was thirsty today which is unusual for me, so I'll look forward to my return to healthy eating, hopefully tomorrow.   It really is weird how sensitive you become to caffeine and salt when you remove it 100% from your diet.

No comments: