Friday, April 17, 2009

I'm back, some rambling thoughts

I couldn't stay away.  I hope my 2 or 3 readers haven't left me yet!  I am flattered that there are a few people who find this useful.  It's useful for me too, and I can be more efficient with my time.  

I've had a few people comment over time that they are amazed at how little I eat.  I seem to eat about 1500-1600 calories per day.  I may have conveyed my misconception that that is low, but I recently read in Dr. Fuhrman's Eat for Health book that 1600 is the average amount for a woman.  So that confirms that I don't eat too little.  I'm not surprised that I would eat an average amount.  I'm taller than average which would make me burn more, but I'm older than average (49) and have definitely noticed the downturn of metabolism.  So I think those things average out.  I'm more active than average for a few hours a day but then most of the day I am probably less active than average since I work from home, so that probably averages out too.

Another thought I had:   Sometimes I wonder if I'm too extreme eating this way.  In a week I'm going to a weekend event with some friends and I'm going to bring my cooler with my food and they are going to think I'm weird.  That is going to make me wonder if I'm weird.  Do I have an eating disorder?  It can appear that way because when you go against the grain of society, you have to put more effort into it and it can appear obsessive.  And maybe it is.  But the other side of the coin is that I am at my ideal weight, and I look and feel great.  My skin has color and vibrancy while every one else around me is grey (we have long winters in Wisconsin).   Talk about an ego boost.  Today I put on my hiking clothes--we are taking the day off to go hiking--and it is so fun to look at myself in the mirror and say, yeah, looks good!    And to feel great.  We're in high allergy season now and I'm not affected.  I used to have seasonal allergies like every one else.  I have no symptoms!  I'm going to hike up the cliffs at Devil's Lake and will hardly be breathing hard.  At the gym, my muscles give out before my cardiovascular system (i.e., I don't get out of breath much).  I am in optimum health.  Is that obsessive?  When you are different from everyone else, it's almost by definition obsessive.  But is it unhealthy?  I don't think so.  So I encourage you to try to be as crazy and weird as me because the benefits are amazing.  And I admit a huge one is pure vanity and ego!

8 comments:

Howard Veit said...

Weird in our sense is very good,not bad.

I am 67,take no medications, am at a really good weight, don't have a pot belly, everything (well, most everything) works well, don't go to the doctor unless I am bleeding from an orifice or something, ride 150 - 200 miles per week and sleep great. If that's weird, I'll take it. And, I credit most of my good fortune to my eating style.

Let's stay weird. Let's convince lots of others to be weird.

Strix said...

Love the attitude, Barb! ;^)

Picks Over Peas said...

I don't think you're too extreme. I guess I've been different for so long in so many ways that I just don't think about it anymore and it doesn't bother me. Growing up with red hair and fair skin in Florida while everyone else was out tanning, I learned to be health conscious at an early age and learned that it is better to be "different" for good reasons than the same as everyone else just because everyone else is doing it. My uncle died of melanoma when I was 17 years old, my steak loving grandfather died of a massive heart attack when I was 3. My parents never let me drink soda or eat fast food like the other kids. I learned my lessons early!

kneecap said...

Howard, you must be the only 67 year old in America who takes no medications!

Picks, I've been different all my life too, but didn't have a positive enough self-image to not feel self-conscious about it. But I've made huge strides in this, in part because of my improved health and (I have to admit) looks. This has spilled over to the rest of my life too.

Anonymous said...

I find your posts very helpful. I'm a newbie to Eat for Health and following your blog is very visual for me.

I definitely eat more food than you but I'm in my early thirties and nursing my son. I've been trying to listen to my body to find what is the right amount for me. For breakfast I have a smoothie, oatmeal, and a few nuts. But my son nurses 3 times a night so I'm really hungry when I first get up in the morning.

Amy

Traci said...

Actually, believe it or not, my grandmother is 86 and up until the last three or four years took nothing other than hormones and an occassional tylenol or immodium ad (she has diverticulitis and won't do anything about her diet :-\). I hope I have her genes...

Howard Veit said...

I haven't run across anyone my age who doesn't take a handful of pills every morning. Most think I am genetically gifted. That's a laugh...my father died of heart disease at age 53 and my mother had Alzheimer's for the last 8 years of her life. My brother, aged 71, takes a handful of pills every day. Must be my eating style and exercise.

For most people, the truth is too hard to deal with.

kneecap said...

Hi Amy,

In your 30s and nursing--you should be eating a lot more than me! Maybe you need a snack before bed.

Traci,

One question is how does your grandma feel on a daily basis? I'm not sure all these medications are making people feel better. But eating healthily definitely makes you feel better.

Howard,

Actually a lot of people my age are on medications too--for high blood pressure and cholesterol. That seems to hit most people in their late 40s. Then in the 50s comes the type II diabetes. And I wonder why so many people have thyroid issues.