Thursday, April 23, 2009

apr. 23

today I didn't plan very well and it led to erratic eating that almost got out of control.  I had those silly fears about getting too hungry.  and I was indecisive about what I wanted.  I think that contributed to over-eating because if I know I want something really good for my next meal, I'll limit my current meal intake to a normal amount knowing that I'll have a great meal a few hours later.

At 6:30 am I worried I'd be too hungry during exercise class, so I ate 0.5 oz brazil nuts even though I wasn't hungry.  I'm not sure that is the best thing to eat before exercise class.  An easier to digest fruit would probably be better, like kiwi.   Anyway, then afterwards when I got home at 9:30, brekky was my usual morning smoothie.  

Then I needed to prepare a lunch quickly for the road.  I thought about salad but thought it would take too long to make dressing.  So I made a mango-spinach smoothie.  I thought, that's not going to be enough so I just started nibbling on things, berries, carrots and celery.   Then I forgot to bring my lunch with me!   which made me glad I nibbled.   

I got home at 4 pm and was hungry and ate my smoothie and then just kind of continued and I guess it became a long dinner.  I made a salad with an apple-sweet potato dressing, peas, red bell pepper.  I ate more peas, and then 2 bananas.  I finished off the berries from yesterday (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries--yummy).  Ate 0.5 oz brazil nuts (thankfully that did not lead to more).  And then I made some cherry ice cream---a bag of frozen cherries, a banana, and some juice blended up.  I ate the whole thing (it was good).  By now it was about 6:30 pm and I stopped.  I was overly full but not uncomfortably so, fortunately.

I'm sure I ate more calories than I needed but at least I stopped at some point.  And I ate more fruit than is normal.  I was discussing overeating with someone on the fuhrman forums and he asked me, "what are you thinking when you do that?" and I thought that was a really good question.  I'm not sure what the answer is.  I'm not sure I'm thinking at all.  I just want to eat and I tend to shut down my thinking.  

I've been thinking of trying to have 1 serving of grains a day.  I think I'd like another calorie source that isn't fruit and nuts.  Starchy veggies (sweet potatoes, potatoes, beets) are good for that too. 

1 comment:

Patti said...

I had one of those days too. I was doing a 12 hour stint in one of the big box pharmacies. Usually I bring my salad and a bunch of fruit and the time goes so fast anyway. But I didn't plan ahead. Ate the one apple driving to the RX, then gobbled a yogurt during a lull, I had taken some ww pasta and sauce and that was totally unsatisfying on my 20 min lunch break and I knew I'd never make it thru the next 7 hours. The best thing I could find was some raw almonds and unsalted pretzels.But I really wanted something green. It's all about planning. Get your food ready and it's half the battle.