Saturday, April 25, 2009

lentils and carrot juice and everything else

I left town for a few days so made a soup out of what was in my fridge. It turned out great!

Ingredients:
1-3 cups of red lentils (I had about 2.5 and used them all)
1/2-1 cup rice (I have this wild/brown rice mixture, yum, I used 1 cup)
2-3 onions or leeks (I used 3)
5 lbs of carrots, juiced (wow, that's a lot!)
whatever else you think you can juice: I had about 5 stalks of celery and a large beet that I also juiced.
a bunch of kale or other green vegetable if you have one.
and/or zucchini, broccoli cauliflower

Prep and juice the carrots and other juicing veggies. This is a key ingredient because it makes the soup flavorful and sweet, and even better than soups that use spices, oil, and salt. Housemate commented that it seems wasteful since you don't use the carrot pulp and I have to agree. I compost it but it still seems wasteful. Add the juice to a large pot with the lentils and rice and start cooking. I find this needs to cook for over an hour for the rice to get tender, say 1.5 hours. Chop the onions and add. I had a bunch of kale so I chopped that and added it next. I also had some cauliflower. I steamed this, blended it in a blender and added it (froze the steaming water for broth in a future soup). It made the soup even creamier. Yum! You can also do with with zucchini. Or if you have broccoli, I would just steam it and add it to the soup without blending. That's pretty much it. Cook until the rice and lentils and onions are tender.

No comments: