Saturday, April 18, 2009

easy beans & rice

Ingredients:

2 cups dried beans or 2 cans. small beans don't require soaking (adzuki, lentils, split peas). Larger beans (black, black-eyed, kidney, pinto)--soak overnight
0.5-1 cup rice or other grain (e.g., barley, kamut, quinoa)
2 cups carrot juice
2 cups celery juice
2 cups water
1 onion
a bunch of greens (optional)

Throw it all in a pot and cook for about 2 hours. When I steam veggies, I've been freezing the water used for boiling since it might capture some of the vitamins from the veggies. So I used that for my water. Today I realized I didn't have any rice so I used 1/4 cup barley, 1/4 cup kamut, and 1/4 cup quinoa. It was good! The kamut is chewy. I like it. The veggie juice adds a nice sweet flavor so makes up for the lack of oil and salt and spices. Oh, and I used adzuki beans today. I'm into small beans right now. And I used 3 small bunches of baby bok choy as my greens--these were really good.

Divided into 6 (large) servings, total calories per are 350, protein 36 g (18%), carbs 140 g (79%), fat 2 g (4%)

No comments: