Thursday, April 9, 2009

Quick bean salad

This is similar to this recipe but this is a quick and easy version, good while traveling.  Also I was going by memory and forgot the red and green pepper--that would have been a good addition!

Ingredients:
1 can beans (black or pinto or white or small red, even kidney)
1 can corn or 2 cups frozen (or more, can't go wrong with corn!)
part of an onion or some green onions.  say 1/4 cup chopped.
a few small tomatoes or 1 large
some cilantro or chives or parsley, say 1/4 cup chopped or less (optional)
cumin (1/2 tsp?)
cinnamon (1/2 tsp?)  (usually the recommended spice to add is ground coriander but I'm not sure I like it)
1 red or green bell pepper chopped (I forgot this!)
Some delicious flavored vinegar (2 Tbsp or to taste).  My favorites are D'angou pear and blood orange.  

Combine everything in a bowl.   You can eat it immediately but it tastes even better if you let it sit for a while in the refrigerator or cooler.

Here's travel-mate posing with the salad after a hike.  This reminds me that we usually ate this over chopped lettuce.

No comments: