Wednesday, August 27, 2008

black bean and corn salad

I kind of stole this recipe from Jennifer Raymond's "Fat Free and Easy" book, but I didn't follow it that closely so I'm hoping that means I'm not violating copyright laws by publishing it here.   and I used less beans and less onion and less spices and more corn because I don't like eating too many beans.

Ingredients:
1 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight, then cooked for 1-2 hours or one 15-oz can
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
4-5 fresh corn ears, slice off the corn with a knife.  or a bag of frozen corn.
2-3 tomatoes, from the garden if you are lucky, diced
herb of your choice, for example, cilantro.  I used my favorite right now because it grows so well in the garden:  chives and basil.  I probably put in 1/4 cup chopped.  you don't need any at all if you don't want.
1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar or whatever vinegar you have or none at all
1/2 lemon juiced.  

her recipe also called for ground cumin and coriander and more vinegar and lemon and red pepper.
but the veggies were so good and fresh, I just wanted to taste them and not the spices so much.

mix it all together.   yum.

No comments: