Monday, August 18, 2008

avocado butter

Ingredients:
1/2-1 avocado, peeled and pitted
some chopped chives or basil or cilantro or other favorite herb (optional)
lemon or lime juice (optional)

peel the avocado and smash it in a bowl. Add any optional ingredients or none at all! Truly, I recommend nothing but the avocado because I eat this on corn on the cob. It is best to just have the avocado and corn flavor and nothing else. It is great on corn on the cob! My house guest loves this way better than butter.

6 comments:

sgltrxfem said...

Avocado is also delicious on baked potato!!! (Instead of butter of course)

kneecap said...

oh, excellent idea! I'm going up to Green Bay this weekend to visit M's family and they will make a couple of baked potatoes for me. so I'll bring an avocado. thanks!

Kit and Kaboodle said...

I tried your avocado butter on grilled corn last night. It was so good it seemed wrong!!! Thanks for sharing this.

kneecap said...

It really is better than real butter!

Darryl said...

Hi, Barb. The avocado butter sounds great, and I'm thinking of trying it as a topping on beans. Does it keep well in the fridge? I know that avocado usally oxidizes quickly, but I'm wondering whether the citric acid in the lime juice might slow or prevent that.

kneecap said...

Hi Darryl,
I've heard lemon/lime juice will delay the discoloration. I usually just make a serving size that we'll be eating at one sitting. So 1/2 avocado usually works for 2 of us. In this regard, I've head if you leave the pit in the other half, and wrap it and refrigerate, the avocado will keep better. I do that, but I don't know if it's really true. it only takes a minute to mash it so it's not time consuming to just do single servings. But I sometimes have leftovers and find that it lasts a day easily (without the lemon/lime juice even). I cover it and put it in the fridge.