Saturday, August 2, 2008

July 30 - Aug. 2 food

Work is going to get really busy for several months so I'm not sure how much daily blogging I can do.  Also after the last few days I'm realizing I may not be such a good example to others on how to eat healthy.   I need to switch gears a bit and go back to eating regular sized meals and not snacking.

So, going back in time.  July 30, I had pretty normal meals except for those 3 beers, oops.  Let's see, usual breakfast smoothie, for lunch I had brought a green smoothie but also got a tofu dish at a food cart.  This was tofu in peanut sauce over salad greens.  The salad greens instead of rice won me over.  The peanut sauce was probably too salty but wasn't overly peanuty so probably not too bad.   Then I had my green smoothie later.  Then the 3 beers with the out-of-town meeting attendees.  whew.    I didn't eat much dinner, just snacked on the food I prepared for the next day.  

July 31 I was very bad as the food provider at my meeting brought in a bunch of vegan cookies.  So I had 3 chocolate chip cookies and 4 Newman oreo-like cookies.  I had my usual breakfast smoothie, didn't have hunger for the green smoothie so wasted it!  and for dinner had a healthy meal at a restaurant followed by a vegan cupcake!   So much for being a good example for you.  But at least I didn't have a beer.  I was definitely not in the mood for that.

On Aug. 1, the meetings were finally over and I returned to normal.  Had a smoothie for breakfast, lunch was corn, green beans, salad and fruit salad.  Yum.  for dinner I had curried greens.  It was like the version I posted but I didn't use cashews (wasn't in the mood after the rich food from the previous day), added beets and their greens, and used a large bag of saute greens from a local farm, instead of the mustard greens.  It was good.

On Aug. 2, today, I was gone from 4:30 - 7:30 am, ate a peach during that time, stopped at the co-op for groceries and got a fresh "nothing muffin".  okay, this is not as good as fruit but it's not awful. it's a "healthy" muffin and it tastes very good and is filling.  Canola oil is in the ingredients list but it's pretty far down.  It has flaxseeds and oat bran and soy milk and that flour that's not wheat but isn't gluten-free, I forget.   I'm going to find out how much oil is in one of these and see if I can add it to my list of occasional items.  Maybe that would satisfy my splurge urges and prevent me from overdoing it.  Anyway, that filled me up and then I was gone again for several hours so didn't eat again until our late lunch of sweet corn, potatoes, leftover curried greens, and watermelon.  yummy!   For dinner we sort of splurged and had air-popped popcorn topped with maple syrup and cocoa.  okay, this was good and the amount of maple syrup and cocoa we ingested was very small.  I put maple syrup, water, and cocoa powder in a squirt bottle and squirted it on the popcorn.  This was really good.  I will do this again!   The only reason I call it a splurge is that it's not unhealthy itself but it replaces food that would be much more healthy.  So these sorts of things should be limited.  I shouldn't do one meal of a muffin and another meal of popcorn in one day.

One thing I am forgetting is I'm doing this for my health (well, not the vegan part), so I should keep that in mind when I'm tempted to splurge.     Well, let's see if I can improve over the next few days.  Otherwise, why am I writing this supposed advice column?

No comments: