Sunday, August 3, 2008

Aug. 3 food log

We met friends and went to an all-day event (7:30 am - 7:30 pm).  We went to the Co-op and got some treats before we left.  uh-oh.  So I got another "nothing muffin".  I still have to find out how unhealthy they are, i.e., how much canola oil they have in them--the rest of the ingredients are fine if not as nutritious as fruits and green vegetables.  Then for the rest of the day had my breakfast smoothie, fruit (plum, grapes, cherries, apple), green smoothie, and some mushrooms when I got home.  oh yeah, and  a couple of bites of UR's vegan chocolate chip cookies.  So, not perfect but not too bad.   

Oh, I made a good treat for UR when I got home.  I don't consider this real healthy since it's white bread, but it's a good transition food (from Standard American Diet to healthy).  I had some frozen baguettes from my neighbor.  I thawed one in the microwave, thawed some pesto, sliced the baguette into coins, spread the pesto on them, and toasted them in the oven.  UR said it was really good.  I also made her a guacamole sandwich with another of the baguettes today.   I made some guacamole out of avocado, lime juice, chives and basil (our garden cilantro is long gone whereas chives and basil are going strong)--forgot the garlic but it tasted good anyway.  Then just put that in the baguette.  Again, it's not super healthy but compared to the alternative, which would have been hotdogs and fries, this was a good meal.  so UR ate well today, I think.  I have an idea for a healthier treat with pesto that I'll post when I make it--well, it's pesto on corn tortillas, toasted.   But we have to test it out first and see if it's good.

No comments: