Saturday, June 21, 2008

Curried Mustard Greens

Edited July 1. much better!

This may seem weird but I avoid buying things in a can or bottle or box. Some reasons include laziness (another ingredient to add to the shopping list and the cupboard); not wanting to support mega-corporations; cans and bottles (e.g., of juice or soy milk) and jars add too much weight and volume to my bike bags; and I don't like reading labels to make sure it's vegan and healthy. So I didn't have any coconut milk which is a common ingredient for a curry sauce, so I made a cashew sauce instead. After making this recipe the first time, I thought it needed some sweetening. Coincidentally, Elijah posted his own curry sauce invention on the Fuhrman forums, and he used a banana. That sounded like a good idea, so I tried it and I think it works well. I also added garlic and mushrooms second time through and that was a nice addition.  Third time through I added ginger and shaved coconut (dried) and red pepper flakes.  I thought this was as good as any restaurant curry I've ever had.    This would probably work with a lot of different greens:  swiss chard, bok choy, kale, even collard greens though you'd need to cook the collard greens longer

Ingredients
1 onion, thinly sliced
1-4 cloves garlic (depends on how much you like garlic)
Large bunch or bunches of mustard greens, yum
sliced mushrooms (however much you like, okay if you insist on an amount, 2/3 cup)
1.5 oz raw cashews (1/4 cup)
1 banana
1 date, remove pit
some grapes, say 1 cup, slice each in half.
1 Tbsp minced or diced ginger
2 Tbsp shaved coconut (optional)
ground black pepper or diced hot pepper or red pepper flakes (i.e., your preference for spiciness)

I sliced the onion thinly and then cut them in quarters. Do it however you want, but you don't need it finely diced. Start cooking the onion in a large fry pan with plenty of water. Wash the mustard greens, rip the stems out, and cut or tear into medium size pieces (few inches on a side). chop the garlic and add.  Dice the ginger and add.  Chop the mushrooms and add. Add the curry powder and pepper and shaved coconut. Put a lid on the pan, make sure there is enough water (not too much, but enough so it doesn't boil away and burn), and let it cook. Blend the cashews, date, banana in some water (half cup or so) in a powerful blender until smooth. Cut up the grapes. Check the greens. when you think there's about 5 minutes left, add the grapes and the cashew-banana sauce. I didn't wait, because I was hungry. I'd say the greens cooked about 15 minutes when I added the grapes and cashew-banana sauce. You can cook them 20-30 minutes if you want them more tender. Add water as needed to make the sauce however thick you want.

The only substantial fat in this is the cashews so if you keep it within your daily allotment, you can eat this whole thing in one sitting, or share with a friend.  You can  add this to rice, but it tastes good on its own.  I'm eating all the vegetables and fruit I can while they are still affordable.  I'll wait for the economic crisis to add the filler grains.  

I bet mango would be a good substitute for grapes. I just can't get my mangos to ripen well in Wisconsin. I think they are shipped really unripe.

No comments: