Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 25 food

Now for the fun experiment of eating healthy in a hotel. I brought this food in an electric cooler.

Breakfast: 4 oz strawberries, 3 oz blueberries, 3 oz raspberries, baby spring mix and baby herb mix from bags, handful of walnuts. Yummy! To make life easy, I did not cut this stuff up and put it in a bowl. I rinsed the berries in a bowl, dumped the water, and then just ate them with my fingers. then I rinsed the salad mixes in a bowl, dumped the water, and ate them with my fingers. good stuff. The dill in one of the mixes was a nice touch. Then ate my walnuts.

Snack: carrot, apple.

Lunch: the rest of the berries (same amount as before). more salad mix. some mushrooms. part of a red pepper. half an avocado. Next time I'll probably not bother with avocado. You have to cut it--then I just scooped it out with a spoon and ate it, but then I had to wash a knife and spoon (no soap required but I'm not in the mood for utensils in a hotel room). I felt the same way about the red pepper until I ate it. Boy was it good. I sliced a chunk of the red pepper and ate it and decided using a knife for that was acceptable. I just ate these things one at a time until I was full. I tried to eat a lot because then I headed off to the golf tournament for several hours.

Dinner: more of the same. salad mix, mushrooms, carrots, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, orange for dessert. I did the same thing, ate them one at a time--oh, I did add the seed to the salad mix. This is fun because you really taste each ingredient. It's not something I'd do at home where I have a kitchen to work in, but it works great in a hotel.

Before leaving home I punched these foods into "fitday.com" to see if it I was going to get enough (or too much) calories or protein. Well, I actually don't need that much protein since I won't be working out like I usually do, but it was very illuminating. Mushrooms have a ton of protein per calorie! As do salad greens. The rest have about 10% protein which is plenty. So I realized I don't need the nuts and seeds for protein, I just need a minimum amount (of the nuts and seeds) for the healthy fats (omega-3s etc) and because they aid in absorption of nutrients, according to Dr. Fuhrman. And I realized I can eat whatever I want of the rest and won't gain weight. That's what Fuhrman as been saying all along and I am slowly catching on.

No comments: