Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 24 rant

I'm in a hotel for several nights with 2 friends. Last night After I ate my dinner smoothie, I accompanied my friends to Denny's (next door) for dinner. That stuff doesn't even look like food to me anymore. Is it? One friend got nachos and the other got a BLT and fries. It's all so processed. Even the "fresh" veggies like the pico de gallo sauce on the nachos are probably made by one of those food-delivery mega-corporations like Cisco; it probably had preservatives on it and they were probably the cheapest, low-quality veggies since profit is the bottom line here. Even the fries, which used to tempt me, didn't look appealing to me, because I wondered how the oil was made, how old it was, how long ago were those potatoes sliced and frozen and plus they were loaded with salt. The food came very quickly so the bacon was probably already cooked up too (at least that was probably done in the kitchen). I don't mean to single out Denny's. I mean to condemn them all. Substitute 98% of restaurants and I would feel the same. I sound like a real weirdo but the more I eat real food, the more I think this other stuff is not food. okay, it's food but it's not healthy. One thing I'm starting to realize, which Dr. Fuhrman says a lot, but I was slow catching on, is that not only does this SAD (Standard American Diet) food have harmful things in it like too much fat and animal protein, but perhaps even more importantly is what it lacks in micronutrients, like you get in leafy green vegetables. These micronutrients do so many things like fight cancer, keep your skin and nails and hair healthy, fight inflammation, and much more. My house-mate's health has improved since I've been feeding her 2 good meals a day. So even though I wish I could convince her to quit the junk she eats the rest of the time, I can see that the healthy food has an effect.

No comments: