Saturday, June 21, 2008

June 21 food

Today we had family visit. House-mate prepared them a meal of meatloaf, baked potatoes, salad, peas and corn. (yuck, I cleaned up carefully after the meatloaf preparation). Housemate's mother brought cake. And they had ice cream too. And milk and cheese on their salad and butter on their rolls. I don't feel critical or superior towards them because they think they are eating very healthy food, and that their declining health is a natural part of aging. This is what I thought 3 years ago, because this is what we are all taught, and I only stumbled on my discovery by accident. I am angry at the food and medical and pharmacuetical industries who are happy to profit off of people's declining health instead of letting them cure themselves through a healthy and delicious diet. I am a coward because I don't try to convince people I love that they can become healthy from changing their diets. I just quietly eat my food. I need to work on this. Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: smoothie

Lunch: yesterday's beans on (small) baked sweet potato, steamed asparagus with lemon and ground sunflower seeds, peas and corn, salad.

Snack: grapes, apple, small peach

Dinner: Curried mustard greens. The family had pizza delivered. I enjoyed my meal as much as I recall enjoying pizza.

Dessert: Strawberries and mango (small bowl). The mango I've been eating lately is a smallish yellow one from Mexico, not the more common large green-red one from South America. The larger ones taste better when properly ripened, but in Wisconsin we get them really unripe and they don't ripen well in my kitchen--they ripen at as they wrinkle instead of ripening first. So the Mexican ones work better for me right now.

After the guests left, I made some green smoothies, because I might need one for a luncheon event after church tomorrow. I'm finding that bringing your own food and not apologizing about it seems to work just fine.

No comments: