Saturday, June 21, 2008

A New Paradigm

When I became a vegan, I learned how to cook all over again, and it was fun. Now I feel like I'm rethinking food again. I've always relied on recipes but now I feel they aren't so necessary. Just mix vegetables and fruit and make wonderful concoctions. I'm even rethinking beans, which I considered a staple--the bloating and gas is getting old, plus it pushes out of the diet some delicious vegetables and fruit. It's really fun to mix whatever vegetables and fruit is in your fridge, and shop for whatever looks interesting instead of what is on your list from a recipe plan. It's all easier, fast to prepare, and tastes great. Vegetables and fruits---these are the most delicious foods! Why are we taught to think of these last? I think it's because the food companies want you to spend your money on their products. Even vegans are taught this as we replace our meat with tofu and tempeh and seitan and grains, and aim to make vegan baked goods as decadent as the animal products kind, and exclaim that we do not in fact eat like rabbits. Vegetables and fuits should be the centerpiece, not the afterthought, and we should eat like rabbits (actually I'm not sure what rabbits eat but greens and carrots come to mind). Next week I'll be eating from a cooler in my hotel room. So I'll be eating raw: bagged salad mixes, berries, nuts and fruits. Should be delicious compared to my compatriots who will be eating hotdogs and hamburgers at the food stands (we going to a golf tournament). More on that in a few days.

No comments: