Monday, June 23, 2008

Baked plantain

I saw a plantain in the store and it looked intriguing. It's kind of like a banana. The description said that it's ripe when it turns black, and when it's not ripe, you'll need to cook it. Well, I'm leaving town and the plantain was almost black but not quite. So I decided to bake it. Here's the "recipe":

Ingredients:
1 plantain, peeled, cut into coins (like you usually do a banana)
lemon or orange juice (fresh squeezed)
water
a bunch of date sugar on a plate

Preheat oven to 350 F. I squeezed the lemon into a bowl of water and added the plantains. I thought the lemon might add a little flavor and perhaps "tendorize" the plantain. Next, place each plantain piece into the date sugar to coat it. Put it on a pizza pan or cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn over. Bake for another 5-10 or whenever it starts to smell good. This is like dessert. Yum.

No comments: