Friday, June 20, 2008

June 20th food

Breakfast: smoothie

snack: apple and small peach

Lunch: collard greens and a bowl of beans. Last night I was looking at Ruth Heidrich's $5 CHEF/Raw cookbook (I recommend it) and she was talking about spices and reminded me of ginger and cinnamon. So I added both to the collard greens and beans and it was good. I also added a touch of Dr. Fuhrman's Spicy Pecan vinegar to the collard greens. I'm not a big fan of vinegar but his are not as strong. My beans were a mixture of the bottoms of several jars: pinto, black-eyed pea, and white. I like to use them all up before buying new so they don't get old. Then I buy a whole bunch again. All I have left now are black beans. So the spices I added to the beans were cumin, thyme, ginger, and cinnamon. Wierd eh? Well, I thought the cumin went well with the pinto beans, and the thyme with the white beans and I was just in a mood for ginger and cinnamon. But I was fearful, so only added a half teaspoon each. They turned out great. Housemate gave them thumbs up. I think it's hard to ruin beans, unless you boil off too much water and burn them. I was going to add some ground walnuts to the collard greens to get my fat, but forgot so had a handful of walnuts for dessert. Oh, and had one walnut in a date, microwaved.

snack: half of small cantaloupe, 8 oz strawberries

Dinner: salad with green lettuce and salad greens, small mango (peeled, sliced), half an avocado, couple sprigs cilantro, chives. I was in the mood for lettuce. You really develop a taste for it after a while. And both the lettuce and salad greens were fresh, organic and locally grown. The cilantro and chives were from the garden. They aren't necessary but when you got 'em, it's great.

Dessert: grapes

I probably snack too much...and the beans made me feel too full. Maybe I should limit myself to 1 cup max.

No comments: