Sunday, April 12, 2009

tomato sauce

We use garden tomatoes all year round, fresh in the summer, canned during the rest of the year.  They are so good, I prefer using them whenever a recipe calls for tomatoes.  I came up with a quick way to make tomato sauce using the blender.  I'm still working on the recipe and made a mistake today so I'll post what I think is a better version even though I haven't tried it yet.

Ingredients:
2 16-oz, canned tomatoes
some onion or leek (I used half a leek)
some garlic to taste (I used a large clove)
2 prunes, chopped (yep!)
1/2 oz almonds or walnuts (optional)

Drain the tomatoes, freeze the drained juice for later.   blend everything except the prunes in the blender.  Then cooked with the prunes for 20-30 minutes.  

Now today I added a carrot too--blended at the beginning.  I don't think that's necessary.  I also added some unsalted dried olives (blended too).  This seems like a good idea, right?  I thought it was an olive oil replacement.  Well, it made the sauce bitter.  I like the bitter taste of the olives, but not when it's blended.  The prunes add a nice sweet taste.  I think it goes well with tomatoes.  

No comments: