Sunday, February 22, 2009

feb 22 food

Brekky:  small morning smoothie

snack:  apple

lunch:  pureed turnip and rutabaga, peas and carrots

snack:  fruit salad (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, banana--split with housemate)--really good.   several carrots while preparing dinner.  made a large batch of smoothies for housemate and added too much juice so ended up eating about 6-8 0z of leftover smoothie.  it was yummy

late dinner:  split pea and carrot soup; 0.5 oz walnuts.  The soup recipe is another wild and crazy one from Fuhrman.  It has lots of carrots and carrot juice, an entire bunch of celery, 2 bunches of greens, and 4 zucchinis!   You puree the zucchinis and greens after cooking.  It is not the prettiest looking soup with those dark greens, but it tastes quite good, and is super nutritious.

total calories:  1550; protein 54 g; carbs 300 g; fat 26 g (15% of total).  Notice how much protein it is--plenty!  Half that was from the 3 bowls of soup.  I didn't eat enough nuts and seeds--I'm still working up to that after last week's extreme unpleasantness.  Also I need to eat them earlier in the day because that's when I exercise.   Today I was hungry and very tired after riding my bike and snow shoveling.  

Also, I think instead of making soy milk (e.g., for the pureed veggies), I'll use pureed pumpkin seeds (or other nut/seed) and water.  My soy milk maker makes more than I like to drink before it gets old, and the seeds are probably healthier and will give me some needed fat and calories.  

Also Fuhrman says you shouldn't snack but I was hungry today after several days of not eating enough.  

Finally, what do you think about my eating berries out of season from South America?  Is it unethical?  I do it partly because I can now and I don't know if I will be able to in the future.  Now I'm fully employed and food transportation prices are still relatively cheap.  In the future I could lose my job and oil will get much more expensive.  So I figure why not enjoy it while I can.  But if it's unethical, I'll reconsider--I guess it's bad for global warming--on the other hand, shipping such large volumes in those gigantic containers in those gigantic boats is actually quite efficient compared to driving your car to the store (and I bike anyway).  I get fair trade, organic bananas.  The berries are organic, but not fair trade. 

5 comments:

Howard Veit said...

I am considering whether to add raw cashews to my next batch of AntiCancer soup. Since I eat the raw trail mix everyday, maybe I don't need the cashews in the soup. It really doesn't enhance the flavor of the soup. Each large portion of soup has about 10 grams of fat, if I put in a whole cup in the recipe. That may be a painless way to reduce fat from nuts.

Howard Veit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Howard Veit said...

I deleted the last post due to bad grammar.

What I meant to say was...one of the nice things about CRON-O-METER is that I can make these silly little tweaks to my recipes to satisfy my obsessions over issues that are probably not that important to begin with, but that seem important to me at the time.

Eugene said...

I don't think splurging on berries from S. America is unethical. I am wondering how they keep them from spoiling while in transit. If they are organic, do you suppose they use a fungicide? I wonder if fresh ones that are local in season are treated similarly.

kneecap said...

Hi Howard,

That sounds like a good idea to limit the cashews in the recipes. Then you can enjoy more of your trailmix. Let me know how the anticancer soup is without cashews. I don't think cashews are as healthy as some of the other nuts anyway.

Mr. Curious,

I've heard people talk about this fungicide issue but unfortunately I didn't pay much attention so I don't the answer. But I recall them saying non-organic is much worse. I don't know how those berries survive either. They even taste okay.

-barb