Sunday, February 8, 2009

kale and (another) sweet potato sauce recipe

I like this even more than this one.

Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut, and steamed (or baked in skin and peeled afterwards--this is the best!) for about 10 minutes
1/2 cup pomegranate juice or 1 apple and some water
1/2 - 1 oz raw nuts (walnuts good) or seeds (pignolias yummy!) or boiled peanuts
some green onions or small portion of leeks (optional, steam with potatoes)
a bunch of kale, destemmed, (I rip it into pieces by hand), steamed for about 20 minutes or until desired tenderness.
optional: some mushrooms, steamed in the microwave for a minute or two (depending on power).

You can cook this on the stove top in separate pots, or throw them all together in a pressure cooker for a few minutes. (I overcooked them today and it was still great!). Put the kale and mushrooms in a serving bowl. Blend everything else including the water it steamed in, in a blender until creamy. Add the sauce to the kale and stir.

This is easy and really good. Even housemate really liked it and she doesn't normally like sweet potatoes (I added cabbage to this once and she says she doesn't like that either).

Makes 2 servings. Calories per serving: 302; Protein: 8 g (8%); carbs: 48g (62%); fat: 10 g (31%).

4 comments:

sgltrxfem said...

Okay Barbie, I got some Kale and some sweet potatoes to try this recipe. Maybe tonight. Can't wait to see how I like it. Stay tuned for the final vote!!!

sgltrxfem said...

Okay Barbie, I got some Kale and some sweet potatoes to try this. Maybe even tonight. Can't wait to see if I like it. Stay tuned!!!

sgltrxfem said...

Made this last night. It was DELICIOUS!!!! I had more sauce than I needed for my kale, so I am saving it to put on my roasted veggies from July 4th.

kneecap said...

yeah, it does make too much sauce. the sweet potatoes from California are big. But I enjoy putting too much sauce on the kale. It feels indulgent and then I realize it's okay because it's all healthy!