Sunday, February 1, 2009

kale and celeriac/turnip sauce

I had a celeriac, I was in the mood for kale, and two blogs I visit recently showed a recipe for celeriac soup, Mary's and fatfreevegan.com.  They didn't have kale in their soup, but I figured I could add it.  But I wasn't in the mood for soup, I really was more in the mood for kale.  So I decided to make celeriac sauce instead of soup---same sort of ingredients, just less water.  I thought it was good, not great, but housemate really liked it, to my surprise.  I used lemon juice, following the fatfreevegan recipe but I think next time I would use vinegar instead so I'm putting that here.

Ingredients:
1 celeriac, peeled and chopped
1 turnip, peeled and chopped (optional, just happened to have some)
1 small onion or leek, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp veggiezest or other powdered vegetable broth or no-salt seasoning (optional)
some water for cooking, not too much, 1/2 cup?
1/2 cup soymilk?  I didn't really measure.  maybe it was 2/3 cup.
1 bunch kale, destemmed, steamed
2 dates (optional)
1-2 Tbsp black fig or other mild flavored vinegar  (good with the kale)

With the kale I usually just use my hands to rip off the pieces into the steamer basket.   Get that steaming for 20 minutes.  Cook everything else except the dates and vinegar together in a pan.  Once this is done, puree it in the blender with the dates, and vinegar  Add soymilk or water to desired consistency (thickish for a sauce).    Combine with kale in a bowl.  Makes two big servings for a main dish, or 4 for sides.

No comments: