Monday, February 16, 2009

cherry ice cream

This is based on a recipe on the Fuhrman site that gets rave reviews. That adds chocolate which I avoid because of the caffeine so I substituted cashews instead, and varied ingredients a bit.

Ingredients:
1 bag frozen cherries
1/2-2/3 cup soy milk
1 oz raw cashews (about 1/4 cup)
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp cocoa or carob (optional)
1 date (optional)

Blend everything but the cherries to get them smooth. Then add the cherries. Blend less if you want chunks of cherries, more for smooth. Add more soy milk as needed. You probably need closer to 2/3 cup.
My soy milk was home-made and sweetened a bit with dates and dried apricots. I include the date in the ice cream and it was plenty sweet so I'm not sure it was needed. Next time I'll try without the date if I use the sweetened soy milk again. This is my favorite dessert now, even more than the banana-walnut ice cream. Really good!

No comments: