Sunday, February 1, 2009

Feb. 1 food

Brekky:  morning smoothie; celery stalk with almond butter

Snack:  pieces of apples, oranges, banana

Lunch:  rest of the carrot & red lentil soup over arugula.  I ate two bowls.  I added some blood orange vinegar to the arugula and it was good.

Dinner:  I had a big dessert planned so just had something I've been wanting to try out:  1/2 cup chickpeas topped with banana slices!   I got this idea from mycrunchylife.  She eats it for breakfast sometimes, thinks of it as a cheerios substitute.  It was pretty good--a really easy meal to keep in mind when I'm traveling.   I wonder how it would taste with spinach.  

Dessert:   Ruth's Yam peach pie from Alan Goldhamer's "Health Promoting Cookbook".  This was my Superbowl treat.   The pie crust was polenta made from corn meal and apple juice.   I made the apple juice fresh so it was really good.  The filling was baked yams and peaches (and a touch of orange juice and cinnamon).  I also added 4 dates and pureed it.   So the ingredients were all good.  But the polenta was mushy.    I ate half the pie.  yeah, I'm a pig but that was only equivalent to 1 yam and 1 cup of peaches and 3/4 cup apple juice.  This took a long time to prepare.  Was it worth it?  As almost always with desserts, I don't really think so.  Of course, for someone who keeps saying this, I have been making and eating a lot of desserts.  Well, part of it is the fun of experimenting with these recipes.   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb: Did you know that the original meaning of the English word, dessert, was fruit?

Howard Veit said...

I eat almost no desserts because I am too lazy to make them. My raw trail mix is my standard dessert. Dr. Fuhrman says eat nuts/seeds with a meal rather than as a snack, so I try to conform to that...sometimes snack though.

kneecap said...

Mary, I did not know that. I think I'd prefer it that became my meaning again.
Howard I agree with you completely. Desserts are a hassle to make. I'm going to look for your trail mix recipe--is it posted on your blog?

Howard Veit said...

Yes, you it is posted on my recipes Blog. You can either make the whole nut/seed version or the ground (in the Vitamix) version. They are both good.

My problem is that it is so good, I probably surpass the 1-2 oz. per day limit regularly.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Howard, you can always portion your trail mix and keep them in the freezer. Just grab one per day :^) Of course, you can always grab another...but having to go and open up another package sometimes is enough of a lull in time to give more thought to it :)