Sunday, February 15, 2009

Feb. 15 food

Brekky:  oatmeal.  This was really good.  I used a half cup of oats.  I wasn't hungry when I woke up so soaked the oatmeal in 1 cup water.  I added a couple of chopped figs and a tablespoon of goji berries (noticed the unopen bag in the fridge and decided I should start eating them). I turned on the stove and let it boil and then turned it off to let it soak.  I checked back in about 20 minutes and added some walnuts and another 1/2 cup water and did the same thing, heated it up and let it soak.  Then about 20 minutes later added some chopped spinach and cooked it for about 10 minutes.  

snack:  fruit and raw carrots at church.  I am doing a "hospitality shift" every two weeks and bringing in fruit.  Other people brought in the usual stuff, crackers and cheese and sweets.  The response is mostly positive--people saying, oh good, fruit!  (since no one ever thinks to bring fruit to these things).  But one guy said "I gotta go get a donut" and he did.  

Lunch:  2 Essene "buds" from the co-op.  This is unleavened bread made from sprouted wheat berries.  Ingredients are sprouted wheat berries, almonds and raisins.  It's pretty good.  It's sort of like a small muffin.  Steamed kale and carrots with a delicious root vegetable-sesame sauce.  For the vegetables I used two small turnips, half a rutabaga, part of an onion, and 2 garlic cloves.  I love this meal.  The sesame seeds (pureed) add a nice bite to the flavor.  I'm realizing that sauces should have a bite to them because they get diluted in the vegetables, plus they balance out the bitterness nicely.  Dessert:  2 small oranges.

Dinner:  salad (lettuce, arugula, spinach, chopped orange bell pepper) with a blueberry-pomegranate dressing.  The dressing is really good!   I seem to be on a sesame seed kick now.  The dressing is from the Fuhrman site.  It has sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, a bag of frozen blueberries, pomegranate juice, and Dr. Fuhrman's blueberry vinegar.  The sesame seeds and vinegar add a nice bite to the flavor that mixes nicely with the slight bitterness in the lettuce and arugula.

No comments: