Tuesday, July 7, 2009

July 6 food

Brekky: smoothie. made this from kohlrabi leaves! I harvested a kohrabi from the garden. I sliced up the bulb (the "edible portion" you find at the grocery store) and ate that too. I love kohlrabi. I have 5 more plants and will probably harvest those over the next few weeks. I don't like that they don't grow back. I really like the leafy greens because you can harvest them for a few months and the leaves just keep growing back. Collard greens are amazing this way. Talk about cheap eats. Anyway, the leaves made about 5.5 oz of greens so that was plenty for a smoothie. It was good.

Lunch: was out and about, brought a large bowl of leftover cabbage salad. and a carrot and an apple.

Late dinner: stopped at the grocery store on the way home, threw a bunch of delicious produce on a plate, and ate a huge bowl of lentil soup (described in yesterday's post). I ate too much. Anyway, the produce meal was really good. It's so easy to get full in the summer on fresh produce. I started with a large carrot. I really love raw fresh organic carrots. They are sweet. Then I had some brazil nuts (I just got one portion at the store so I wouldn't overeat them), some cherries, blackberries, raw spinach, sweet snap peas (local and delicious!) and watermelon. and a small orange for dessert. I would have been fine stopping here, but no, I had to taste the soup. That soup is so sweet I can't stop eating it. So I got really full. overfull. I think I'll avoid that really sweet carrot-based soup for a while. Plus I'm not a big fan of juicing and then throwing out all that pulp, even if it's going into the compost pile.

No comments: