Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 14

brekky: 1/4 cantaloupe, 1/4 honey dew melon. some walnuts and pumpkin seeds (probably 1/2-1 oz total). some salad greens.

Then my stomach was bothering me again. I'm not sure why. I did eat too many cherries last night, but I've done that plenty of times. Last night's smoothie had 4 oz of spinach in it. But I've done that plenty of times. But maybe the combination of that plus the 1 cup of beans a day is too much. I need more food when I don't eat beans, but I probably should cut back on volume when I include the beans. Or maybe I just ate something with some bacteria on it, I don't know.

Anyhow, I therefore ate a light lunch. I just snacked a bit on things as I prepared dinner for later since I wouldn't be home. I made another greens, beans & seeds dish, because I really want to adopt Dr. Fuhrman's advice to eat lots of greens, beans, and nuts and seeds. And I made a nice fruit salad--strawberries, raspberries, mango, and kiwi (2 servings, one for housemate). I ate 1/2 orange while making housemate's orange juice. And I ate some more nuts and seeds, probably 1 oz. That seemed like plenty of food for lunch. Then dinner was those dishes I prepared. It was yummy. I feel fine right now, so hopefully all will be well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting about your stomach upset. I get that sometimes too. I finally decided that I have a reaction to something in kale. If I eat more than 2 oz of kale I get stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. The severity of the symptoms depends on how much over 2 oz I have eaten. I now call it kale poisoning and I don't eat kale anymore. The worst was when I ate pureed kale. It tasted great but the aftermath was awful.

A few weeks ago I ate about 4-5 oz of mostly kale and some collards (not pureed) for dinner and got very sick that night. Diarrhea and bad vomiting. I wasn't very hungry the next day.

When I get some courage, I'm going to try collards again. I think they are okay, but I'm wary now after the last episode. Spinach, broccoli, bok choy and everything else in that family seem to be fine even in huge quantities (8 oz or more).

I don't know if that's your problem but it would be worth it to experiment a bit.

AmyK

kneecap said...

Hi AmyK, thanks for your comment. That's very interesting. Is this raw kale that gives you problems or cooked? I don't think I have a problem with cooked. But I wonder if too much raw spinach is a problem for me. For a while I was eating smoothies with 5 oz raw collards and it wasn't a problem! But now I'm adding beans to the mix and I think that means I need to cut back on the volume of raw food to help with the digestion. maybe...

Anonymous said...

I've always used cooked kale and collards. I routinely put 5 oz of raw and/or frozen spinach in my morning smoothie without incident, though. Seems weird to be sensitive to kale, but that's what individuality is all about, right? It may be that you are sensitive to some food that in every other way is super healthy. It may be spinach or maybe just too much spinach.

It also could be some kind of contaminant on the food. You could test that by getting the food from different sources or preparing it differently, I guess.

As I always say... a clinical trial with one participant. With your excellent record keeping you should be able to sleuth it out. I'll look forward to reading more about it on the blog.
AmyK

kneecap said...

thanks Amy, that is interesting that you react to cooked kale. You are right, I do have a record here, and in the past I got sick when I overate the nuts. I am trying to increase my nuts and seeds as well as beans right now. I didn't really cut back on the raw food volume when i did this so I think maybe that is the problem, that I need to accommodate the new rich food by cutting back on some of the old. That's my working hypothesis right now. :) I haven't noticed any sensitivity to one particular food in reasonable quantities. The weird thing is that I'm losing weight, and I don't need to. I guess fuhrman is right that nuts and seeds and beans actually contribute to weight loss despite their high calories (when consumed in reasonable amounts).

-barb