Tuesday, July 7, 2009

July 7

Brekky: some cherries, blackberries, and leftover cabbage salad. some raw spinach. some sips of house mate's smoothies while preparing.

Lunch: big salad made from stuff in the fridge and garden. There was lettuce from the garden, romaine lettuce from the store (local), grape tomatoes cut in half, sugar snap peas (so good!). Then for dressing I ground up some sunflower and hemp seeds (in the coffee grinder), and mixed that with some d'angou pear vinegar and chives and basil from the garden and the tomatoes. While eating I decided it needed more liquid so I added some spicy pecan vinegar (ran out of the d'angou pear, didn't really care what flavor it was). It was very good.



















Dessert was fruit salad: strawberries, raspberries, banana














Dinner: I had big plans for building muscles with a "power smoothie" after a hard workout at the gym, following Dr. Fuhrman's advice: after exercising, eat a meal with greens, beans, and nuts and seeds. So I prepared a smoothie with 4 oz kohlrabi leaves (needed to harvest another kohlrabi from the garden), 1 Tbsp each of sunflower, pumpkin, flax and hemp seeds, 1/2 cup edamame, and a bag of frozen berries, oh and a peeled orange, and 1 Tbsp blueberry vinegar. It was a bit of a disappointment. It didn't taste bad, tasted decent even. But I love eating an orange by itself, and I love the taste of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and berries. It was all just mixed together into one okay taste and there was no satisfaction of chewing. So I don't think that's going to be how I get my high-protein meal on a regular basis. This time of year, the produce is so good, I think I am not in the mood for blending it all up into one taste. I also ate my smallish but good-tasting kohlrabi, some carrots, and some cherries. I was plenty full after all that.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Hey Healthy! I read your blog pretty regularly, and am trying to gradual become a nutritarian. It's difficult in my household, but it's becoming evident that my health will not hold out forever the way I'm eating.

Can you tell me a few things you learned at Dr. Fuhrman's retreat that would help a newbie like me? I am struggling with making changes, but really needing to keep it simple without being completely bored with the diet. Any advice is greaty appreciated. Love, love, love your blog, btw. :)

kneecap said...

HI Claire,

thanks for the nice comment. Okay, I'll write a post about the retreat.

Regarding being bored with the diet. I find I'm getting simpler with time, so my food choices might not be the best representation of the program. That was one nice thing about the Getaway was having all those prepared recipes that I didn't have to make myself!

-barb