Monday, July 27, 2009

busy and overeating

It's been hectic the last week. I went on a trip, hosted a visitor, gave a sermon at church, and right after that went to the airport to pick up another visitor who will be here all week. All the traveling and visitors have been work-related so I'm working too. I've felt like splurging food-wise. I'm not sure what drives this. True, I've been feeling some stress and I'm sleep deprived. But it also seems to be part of a cycle where you eat well for a while and then want to splurge. And it's partly outside influence---being in close quarters with people who eat very SAD (Standard American Diet) food does influence me. So I'm not sure what the main reason is, or maybe it's just a combination of all those things. We went to a restaurant on Friday and I brought my own food but the restaurant had a lot of vegan options. I was wondering if maybe I should allow myself a nice splurge of vegan food at a restaurant. I have a $50 coupon for one restaurant that has a lot of vegan options. Friday night I drank a sip of wine from a very good bottle my visitor was drinking. It tasted good and I could feel the effect immediately and wasn't sure I liked it. plus I knew I'd feel yucky the next morning. So I didn't want more.

So for the last 3-4 days, I've been debating with myself about whether or not I want to have a planned splurge. I think it's okay since I haven't eaten unhealthy food in a few months, but do I want to? that is the real question. I don't feel so great after a splurge. In the meantime as I've been debating, and this is where I'm getting to after all this rambling, I've been overeating the fruit. I ate a whole watermelon this weekend. I ate some cherries and grapes at 11 pm last night. Okay, in the grand scheme of things, that's not so bad, but I don't feel so great. Too much sugar, even if it's fruit, makes a a little groggy the next morning. Just an observation. I hurt my foot on Saturday so don't plan to exercise much this week so I think I'll try to eat proper amounts of food this week. I'll try to get back to logging my meals too. This week's visitor is easy to host and he enjoys eating our food. He loves the avocado "butter" on the corn on the cob--says it's way better than real butter. Now there's an open-minded chap.

Anyway, the past few days I've been eating our usual kinds of food this time of year: fruit for brekky (cantaloupe, watermelon, or grapefruit) or smoothie (had one sat. morning), corn on the cob and veggies and leafy greens and beans at lunch, too much fruit at dinner along with leftover veggies, and not enough greens at dinner.

No comments: