Saturday, June 13, 2009

single serving green smoothie

Warning: this is not a very sweet one. But this is what your taste buds start desiring after you get hooked on eating raw greens. I'm just starting to harvest all these greens from my garden! yea!!!!

Ingredients:
2-4 oz leafy greens: I usually use collard greens (because I have a garden full!), chard or spinach. Collards and kale are cruciferous vegetables and are great cancer fighters! However, I personally don't like kale in smoothies, as I find it too bitter.
1 Tbsp flaxseed
1 Tbsp hempseed (or sunflower seeds or raw nuts or nothing)
1 bag frozen berries (e.g., mixed, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry)
1/2 bag frozen pomegranate berries (new!) or 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup water, if needed
daily supplements (optional): 0.5 ml DHA,2 gentle care vitamins, 3 Osteo-Sun
1-3 tsp blueberry vinegar (if using lots of the bitter greens---kale, collards, arugula)

Put the seeds, nuts, juice or water, and supplements in the bottom of your powerful blender. Add the greens on top. start blending. The greens should fall down and start blending with the liquid, adding more bulk. Let that blend up nicely to grind up the seeds and supplements. then you can just add the berries slowly and let them blend in. it makes a thick shake. You can microwave the berries for 30 sec first which will make it blend easier and less thick; or add a bit of water. The vinegar removes some of the bitter taste of the greens. Makes a large glass, about 16 oz.

Nutritional info: 393 calories, 12 g protein (10%), 73 g carbs (65%), 12 g fat (26%).

2 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

Sounds delish and fun!

Cheers,
Kristen

kneecap said...

Hey, I just checked out your blog. It's great. I'll add it to my blogroll. Do you eat oils and salt?

-barb