Saturday, June 6, 2009

june 5 & 6

Yesterday, for brekky I had 1/2 cantaloupe, some walnuts (0.5 oz or so), some sips of housemate's smoothie, and a small box of blackberries.   and a peach.  and some spinach.

lunch was a bunch of asparagus in sweet potato sauce.  and a carrot and celery stalk.  and some fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, bananas).  This really filled me up.  I was still full when I went to exercise class.

Dinner was snacking while preparing food for my trip.  So carrot, celery stalk, about 1.5 cups of frozen peas, many sips from the 8 large glasses of smoothies I made for house-mate (2 64-oz batches).  lots of spinach from the bag (finished it off) and probably 2 oz of nuts of seeds (brazil, walnuts, sunflower seeds).  Exercise class was horrible, lots of weight lifting (that was the first time I didn't enjoy a class because it was too hard).  I thought maybe the nuts and seeds would help build muscle after all that.  I can hope.

Today's plan is scrounging in the fridge for breakfast and lunch--that will be salad and fruit.  Then I made a spinach-mango smoothie, which is 2 servings.  I'll have one before I go through security at about 2 pm.  I'll put a frozen one in my suitcase and have the other when I land in LA at about 7 pm LA time which is 9 pm WI time.  And I'll bring some fruit and carrots to snack on while traveling.  Should be plenty.   

Tomorrow morning I rush off to a tour so won't have time to load up on groceries until the evening.  I'm bringing oats, nuts, and Dr. Fuhrman soups in my suitcase, and hopefully enough fruit for tomorrow morning.  so I'll have oatmeal and fruit at brekky, a can of soup during the tour, and then I'll grocery shop for produce when I get back.  I got a hotel with a microwave and fridge so I should be in good shape.  It will be a hike to the grocery store and conference but the weather is forecast be splendid so the walks should be enjoyable.  The cars are amazingly polite to pedestrians in Pasadena.


2 comments:

Robin said...

I have a business trip in a week, so I'm interested in how you handle eating while on the road. How do you transport a smoothie? Do you put it in a thermos? Does it stay cold?

kneecap said...

Hi Robin!

When I made the smoothie I put it in a plastic water bottle (16 oz nalgene bottle) and froze it. When I put it in my suitcase, I put it in this this cheapo thermal bag that I got for free from National geographic. You could just wrap it in a towel or something. The smoothie was fully frozen at 12:15 pm when I put it in the suitcase. I drank my smoothie 9 hours later and it was still partially frozen--so much that I couldn't use a straw and had to use a spoon! I was surprised! A thermos may have too much insulation and it may not thaw enough.

I will post tomorrow about what I'm doing while on travel. I'm too tired tonight!